Nuffield Research Placements
The online application system for Nuffield Research Placements 2020 is now open.
The Nuffield Research Placement Scheme is aimed at the current 5th year pupils who will be sitting their Highers in 2020 and who are studying any Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Maths (STEM) and Social Science/Humanities subjects at that level. The placements help increase confidence and improve key skills including practical, communication, report-writing and presentation skills. Placements also provide students with excellent experiences & skills to include on CV’s and personal statements. By working with professional scientists and engineers in a real-life environment, the students gain an invaluable insight into a wide variety of careers. This is a wonderful opportunity.
The Nuffield Foundation are aiming to widen access, focusing on economic and social deprivation, and have found that students who come from lower income families, or whose parents have not attended higher education, benefit most from the scheme. In light of this, the scheme is now only open to these students (and priorities are placed on students eligible for the bursary). This means our charitable funding is targeted where it will have the greatest benefit. It also means that we will have fewer unsuccessful applicants.
***There is now an eligibility checker on the application system so that students can check whether they are eligible or not, before beginning the application.
To be eligible to apply for a Nuffield Research Placement, students must:
• Be over 16 years old
• Be in full-time state-funded education in the UK
• Have at least 5 National 5 / GCSEs (or equivalent) at Level B / 6 or above, including maths, a science subject and English (or another humanities subject)
• Be studying one or more Scottish Higher, A-level (or equivalent) in science, technology, engineering, economics, geography, psychology, computing, statistics or maths
• Be able to spend several weeks (4-6) of their summer holiday working on a research project
Students must also meet at least ONE of the following criteria:
• Come from a family with a combined household income of below £30,000 a year
• Be entitled to free schools meals, either now or at any time in the last six years.
• Be living, or have lived in, local authority care.
• In some schools students will also be eligible if they are the first in their immediate family to participate in higher education (not including any older siblings). This means neither of their parents/carers have participated in higher education, either in the UK or another country. If their siblings have attended higher education, but their parents/carers have not, they are eligible.
Summary of the process:
• Students apply by completing an online application which can be accessed on the Nuffield Research Placement webpage at https://www.nuffieldresearchplacements.org/
• Students insert an email address of the teacher that will provide them with a reference. The system automatically initiates an email to that teacher to allow them to add reference.
• After the closing date, (February 25th 2020) applications will be scored, matched to placement projects available/suitable (where possible) and the appropriate applications will be forwarded to various supervisors for their consideration.
• If successful matched and accepted to a project by the supervisor, the student is then offered the project.
• Placements normally take place at the end of June, July or early August. The student will normally be working Mon-Fri (9am-5pm) for 4, 5 or 6 weeks. Students should therefore be made aware that is quite a big commitment.
• All students will receive reasonable travel costs to and from their placement. Students who are eligible for bursary will receive an additional £100 per week of placement.
• Successful students are required to submit a report at the end of their placement and are invited to display their work in poster format at a celebration event (usually in Edinburgh), taking place at the end of August / early September.
PLEASE note - there are a limited number of placements available and as such an application does NOT guarantee a Nuffield placement.
More information on the Nuffield Research Placements scheme can be found at http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nuffield-research-placements