Craft Modern Apprenticeship Programme 2021
Craft Modern Apprenticeship Programme 2021
South Lanarkshire Council is committed to looking after people and meeting as many of their needs as possible. So, it’s natural that we are particularly focused on helping people find jobs and build careers.
Becoming a Craft Modern Apprentice will give you the opportunity to develop a career within Housing and Technical Resources and be trained to the appropriate National Standard through college attendance and on the job training and experience.
We offer a range of apprenticeships within Housing and Technical Resources, but overall, we are looking for people who can demonstrate commitment to their own learning and enthusiasm for building a career within our Building Services Teams in the following disciplines:
Joiner, Slater, Painter, Plumber, Electrician & Domestic Heating Engineer
Property Services is one of three services within Housing and Technical Resources, and is responsible for a wide range of services, including the following:
• Property advice services
• Maintenance services
• Design services
• Improvement services
As an apprentice you may be involved in learning to upgrade or replace windows or doors or carry out improvements to the fabric of buildings across refurbishments, new builds, listed buildings, schools, leisure complexes and maintaining community properties.
What do we look for?
These opportunities are for trainees and therefore do not require you to have any experience in your chosen trade. What we do require is:
• Evidence of recent learning experiences
• An understanding of your chosen trade
• An understanding of the importance of Health and Safety
• An understanding of the benefits of effective teamwork and customer care principles
• A willingness to learn and adapt to the working and college environment
These vacancies are restricted to applicants who have recently attended a South Lanarkshire Council High School and/or live in the South Lanarkshire Area. You must be 16 years of age by 30/09/2021 and no older than 19 years of age by 11/08/2021.
South Lanarkshire Council and Skills Development Scotland recognise that disabled people and those who are care experienced can face challenges on their career journey. So, if you are disabled or care experienced and aged between 20 to 29 years of age by 11/08/2021, you may be eligible to apply if you meet the rest of the essential criteria.
Care experienced means you are or were formally looked after by a local authority, in the family home (with support from social services or a social worker) or elsewhere, for example, in foster care, residential/secure care, or kinship care (with family friends or relatives).
At South Lanarkshire Council we are ambitious about diversity and inclusion and want our organisation to reflect the people of South Lanarkshire. We welcome applications from everyone who meets the criteria. However, as we do not have many disabled, care experienced, or ethnic minority employees, we would particularly welcome applications from these groups.
The applications for the Craft Modern Apprenticeships programme will be available on the website from Wednesday 31st March 2021. The closing date for on-line applications is Wednesday 14th April 2021. (Please note this post automatically expires at midnight on this date and applications will not be accepted after this time).
Part of the selection process requires you to complete and pass an assessment.
• Applicants for the Electrician Apprenticeships will be required to complete the SECTT pre-apprenticeship assessment. The Electrical Assessment will be carried out online over the period Tuesday 4th May 2021 to Wednesday 12th May (days to be confirmed), if you wish to apply for this post you must ensure that you are available during this period as there will be no opportunity to re-schedule or resit the test.
• Applicants for Joiner, Slater, Painter, Plumber & Domestic Heating Engineer Apprenticeships will be required to complete an on-line assessment which we are currently sourcing, and we will provide further information regarding this on Thursday 22nd April 2021. You will be required to complete this online assessment during the period Monday 26th April to Thursday 6th May 2021 (days to be confirmed).
You will receive an e-mail on 22/04/2021 or 23/04/2021 notifying you of what you are required to do with regards to the assessment.
All interviews will be held online via Microsoft Teams between Tuesday 1st June 2021 and Friday 11th June 2021 (days to be arranged), please make sure you are available during this period and that you also check your email inbox for important messages as re-scheduling will not be possible.
• Applications can only be made on-line via the www.myjobscotland.gov.uk website.
• Applicants can only apply for one specific trade; multiple application forms will not be considered.
• You must be 16 years of age by 30/09/2021 and must be no older than 19 years of age by 11/08/2021. Or aged between 20 and 29 if you are disabled or care experienced.
• You must have attended a South Lanarkshire Council High School and/or live in the South Lanarkshire Area.
• These posts are available on a Fixed Term Contract for a 4-year Apprenticeship
South Lanarkshire Council / South Lanarkshire Leisure & Culture are Equal Opportunities employers and encourage applications from all sectors of the community. In addition, we are committed to the Double Tick Initiative and offer a guaranteed interview to any applicant who considers him / herself to be disabled and who meets the competency requirements for the post.